Zora Neale Hurston Award
Guidelines for the Preparation and Submission of Nomination Packet
Each nomination should include the following:
- Letter of recommendation in support of the nominee.
- Summary of the nominee's accomplishments.
Contextualization of the nominee's work should address the following questions:
- What is the significance of the nominee's work within the discipline?
- What is the impact of this work for the community in which the nominee works? How has this work benefittedcommunities?
- How has this work moved the discipline forward into applications for the larger public?
Each nomination packet must:
- Be no longer than 10 pages.
- Include 2 additional copies of packet materials for the three person committee.
Please send nominations with supporting materials electronically to:
Dr. Lisa J. Lefler
Zora Neale Hurston Award Chair Culturally Based Native Health Programs College of Health & Human Science Western Carolina University
Cullowhee, NC 28723
Selection and Award Process
The selection review committee consists of two appointed members of the Southern Anthropological Society Zora Neale Hurston Award Committee and the Zora Neale Hurston Award Chair.
The annual deadline for receipt of nomination materials is November 1st. Please note that supporting materials will not be returned. The Zora Neale Hurston Award may not be annual and will be awarded only if the committee deems nominees of merit.
Recipients will be contacted by January 1st so that they may make arrangements to attend the annual meeting in the spring. The Hurston Award winner will be announced and a $500 stipend and Zora Neale Hurston engraved award will be presented at the annual meeting banquet.